January 7, 2013
Dear Malvern Mothers,
Happy New Year! I hope you all enjoyed a restful and rejuvenating break, and that you are ready for some more fun and excitement on our beautiful campus.
It’s so hard to believe that we are already in the third quarter; doesn’t it feel sometimes like we are travelling through time at Warp Speed? But busy times are productive times! The Mothers' Club was very busy throughout the fall, Advent and Christmas seasons, and with the help of so many, we were able to accomplish so much. Thanks to each and every one of you who was able to come out and join us!
To those who did not get involved in Mothers’ Club during the first semester, we would love to welcome you during the second. Please allow me to dispel any concerns and/or myths that may be keeping you away:
“I’m not in Mothers’ Club. I never paid any dues or whatever…”
If you have a son at MP, believe me, you are paying your dues. You’re IN, my friend! That’s that. There’s nothing else to do.
“I don’t want to get drafted to work on some big project that I don’t have time for.”
Trust me: YOU CHOOSE how involved you want to get, and nothing will ever be thrust upon you, I promise. If your experience is anything like mine, you will have more fun than you ever expected and you will build friendships to treasure.
“They don’t really need my help. They’ve already got all their folks lined up who do everything.”
Nothing could be further from the truth. Your help is desperately needed and your fresh ideas, input and energy are always welcome.
“It’s too fancy for me. I don’t look, act, or dress like all of those ladies.”
This was the very thought that prevented me from attending a single meeting during my first year at Malvern. Boy, was I off. Trust me, no one cares and no one is judging. The service we provide to our school has nothing to do with wardrobe or hair style; I encourage you to run into one of our meetings in between errands wearing sweats and a T-Shirt and see how warmly you are received!
“I don’t know anyone in Mothers’ Club. Who will I talk to or sit with?”
Me, for starters. I would love to meet you! And so would our Mothers’ Club board members and many others. What you will find at our Mothers’ Club meetings, events and activities is a bunch of down-to-earth, hard-working, service-oriented women who love their sons, love MP’s mission and vision, and just want to help out. If that describes you - and I bet it does - come on out and join us!
Now, the fun part: Here’s what we all have to look forward to in the next few months!
• Junior Class Mass & Pinning Ceremony – Sunday, Jan. 13th at 10 AM in the chapel, with reception to follow in Stewart. Family members welcome.
• Fashion Show & Luncheon - Sunday, March 3rd at 12 noon at Overbrook Country Club
• Mothers’ Club (Evening) Meeting – Thursday, March 7th at 7 PM in Austin Hall
• Mother/Son Mass & Dance – Saturday, March 16th at 6 PM at Dougherty Hall
• Best Nest Easter Basket Assembly – Tuesday, March 26th at 6:30 PM at Stewart
• Mothers’ Club (Daytime) Meeting – Thursday, April 11th at 1 PM in Austin Hall
• Final Mothers’ Club Meeting and President’ Luncheon – all welcome on Thursday, May 2nd, at 12 noon in Austin Hall
• Plant Sale – Plant pick-up Friday, May 3rd from 11 AM to 3 PM outside Dougherty
• New York City Trip to see “Nice Work If You Can Get It” on Broadway, starring Matthew Broderick – Wednesday, May 8th, bus departs Malvern at 8 AM and returns to campus by 7 PM
• Mother/Senior Mass & Dinner - Monday, June 3rd at 6:30 pm in the chapel, with reception to follow in Stewart.
Finally, I can’t end this letter without making two pleas:
• Please read the Malvern Weekly faithfully to learn details about our coming events.
• Please check out the complete Mothers' Club section of the Malvern Prep website (links to the left), which offers useful information at your fingertips: a calendar of events and coordinators, a list of ongoing services that we offer, minutes of our meetings, and reminders about upcoming events.
I heartily and sincerely thank each and every chairperson, committee member and volunteer who organized and supported our fall and winter events to date, as well as those chairpersons and volunteers who continue to coordinate and support our ongoing services to the school community: Moms in Prayer Group, Lost and Found, Friar’s Resale, Outreach, Campus Decorating, Garden Guild, Austin Hall Greeters, Family to Family Program, Service Project Drivers, Eucharistic Ministers, Winter & Spring Flower Memorial Sales, and Giant’s A+ Rewards Program.
I also thank, in advance, all those chairpersons and volunteers who have already committed to giving so generously of their time and talents during the upcoming months.
In closing, I would like to offer a quote from the back of the Empty Bowl’s Tee shirts that you will see floating around Dougherty Hall on Martin Luther King Day (yes, this is a shameless plug for a wonderful and worthy event): “Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does." - William James
I remain truly grateful to be a part of Mothers’ Club - a wonderful organization of mothers that has blessed our school for years with warm memories, kind-hearted service, worthy traditions and friendships that will last a lifetime. If you are interested in continuing in this tradition by taking on a leadership role and/or organizing one of our Club’s events next year, please let me know. I will be happy to discuss the opportunities that are out there for you!
Donna Anderson, P’12, P’14
Malvern Prep Mothers’ Club President, 2012-2013